Monday, April 30, 2012

Brett Helquest - Yes he did A Series of Unfortunate Events

An excerpt from an interview with him:


HOW DID YOU GET STARTED AS AN ILLUSTRATOR?
After graduating from college I left for New York City. My first job was an internship with an illustrator named Robert Neubecker. I began showing my portfolio whenever I had the chance. Slowly, very slowly the jobs began to trickle in. My first jobs were from newspapers and magazines. I did this type of work for about seven years. During this time I also had a day job as a graphic designer. I eventually decided to pursue some work in children’s books. The first book I had the chance to illustrate was “the Bad Beginning” by Lemony Snicket.

HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH YOUR STYLE?
It evolved naturally. I think the art that inspires me has an influence. Some examples are traditional Japanese and Chinese art, comic books, Great American illustrators like N.C. Wyeth and Howard Pyle. Other elements of style come as solutions to weaknesses. For example my use of line began when I had trouble controlling edges in my paintings. I also do most of my drawing from my imagination, I rarely use models, so I had to develop a way to draw that allowed me to do this.




No comments:

Post a Comment